The English We Speak – Game changer
The expression ‘game changer’ means something that is so new and different, it changes the rules of the game.
This is a download from BBC Learning English. To find out more visit our website.
The English We Speak from BBC Learning English
Feifei: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I’m Feifei and joining me is Harry.
Harry: Hello there! And the popular modern expression we are going to look at in this programme is ‘game changer’.
Feifei: Game changer. We’ll look at what it means and when you can use it. So Harry – did you end up buying a new TV like you were planning?
Harry: I certainly did – and then some! I don’t know if ‘TV’ is really the right word for it though.
Feifei: Why not?
Harry: Well, it’s so much more. It’s got a 72-inch curved screen with ultimate high-definition and it’s 3D. When you watch a programme, it’s like you’re really there.
Feifei: Wow – it sounds amazing.
Harry: It is! TV will never be the same again. In TV terms, it’s a real game changer.
Feifei: A game changer? What’s that?
Harry: Well, it’s so unlike any normal TV, that it’s changed the rules of what TVs are. You will never think of TV in the same way if you watch my TV – it’s a new world of television.
Feifei: So ‘game changer’ means something that is so new and different, it changes the rules of the game.
Harry: Exactly. It could be technology, like my TV, or a person with new ideas, or a new direction in music or fashion. Any new innovation that changes the current situation.
Feifei: I see. Let’s listen to some examples:
The Beatles’ album Sergeant Pepper was a real game changer – it transformed pop music forever.
Our company needs a game changer – someone who can come in and rethink the way we do everything.
Last year my boss said we could all work from home whenever we needed to. It’s been a real game changer in the way we work.
Feifei: So, some different types of game changers there. For people learning English, I suppose the internet has been a real game changer. You can study anytime, anywhere now.
Harry: You can – especially if you visit our website bbclearningenglish.com.
Feifei: Very true, if you want to improve you English, our website can be a real game changer. So, I suppose you’re going to be staying in tonight.
Harry: Me? No, I’m going out.
Feifei: But, you’ve got an amazing new TV, the game changer.
Harry: I know, but it’s Thursday, and there’s never anything good on TV on Thursdays. And to be honest, I think I’ve been watching too much TV. I need to get out more.
Feifei: Oh well – I guess your TV didn’t change the game for long. Join us again for more The English We Speak.
- The English We Speak – Me time
- The English We Speak – Cyberbullying
- The English We Speak – Take a back seat
- The English We Speak – In black and white
- The English We Speak – A sticky situation
- The English We Speak – A close shave
- The English We Speak – My mind’s gone blank
- The English We Speak – To sleep on it
- The English We Speak – All over the place
- The English We Speak – To go around the houses
- The English We Speak – Done and dusted
- The English We Speak – Chill pill
- The English We Speak – Put a sock in it!
- The English We Speak – A wild card
- The English We Speak – To stab in the dark
- The English We Speak – To keep a lid on it
- The English We Speak – To be on the ball
- The English We Speak – Mind-blowing
- The English We Speak – Out for the count
- The English We Speak – Game changer